Thursday, March 18, 2010

66- Judy and Friends

BELOW IS A LETTER TO THE WOODSTOCK TIMES, MARCH 18, 2010, IN WHICH i AM CALLED A LIAR, WASHINGTON STYLE. THE AUTHORS SAY I IGNORE THE TRUTH. AND ONE OF THEM SERVES ON A COMMITTEE WITH ME. HER NAME, JUDY FLYNN, COMES FIRST IN THE GROUP. LAST TIME I SAW JUDY SHE COMPLIMENTED ME ON MY NEW HAIRCUT. THOSE DAYS ARE GONE, BABY.

SEE MY RESPONSE BELOW THIS LETTER.


RUPCO FOLLOWING PROCEDURE

Lying Washington style has come to Woodstock. You know the formula; ignore the truth, use scary words and use them often so that when they begin to sound familiar folks may mistake familiarity for fact.

Now we are hearing fraud, white collar crime and FBI investigations in reference to RUPCO's planned affordable housing in Woodstock, all because Woodstock Commons Limited Partnership, the original name of the structure that would eventually receive the Federal Low Income Housing Tax Credit subsidy funds, was not registered well in advance, many months for sure and possibly longer, of the funds being available. There was no mystery here, no fraud, no white collar crime and nothing to investigate. RUPCO has built much housing with the exact funds that will be used in Woodstock and knows well that government agencies require submission of the Limited Partnership corporate papers before transfer of monies. RUPCO acted in a very ordinary way in the long process of developing affordable housing.

Strangely Robin Segal, a children's book author, who moved to Woodstock last year buying a house a stone's throw from the proposed new housing, has registered the Woodstock Commons LPC name herself and now controls it. RUPCO was required to change the name on all documents. This name change resulted in our tax money paying those who worked on this unnecessary task.

There are many of us who want to see RUPCO's affordable housing built in Woodstock. We believe that all humans need and should have the right to decent housing. We know that the extraordinary scarcity of subsidy results in RUPCO type development being the only choice. Let's house our brothers and sisters.

Judy Flynn, Liz Rosen, Sue and Murray Kiok, Bobbie Shlasko
Woodstock


MY RESPONSE:

Judy and friends,

I am not a liar. I approached the US Attorney’s office and told them that a company was using a corporate name without paying for it. They told me to call the FBI, so I did. The FBI chose to take the information about RUPCO’s illegal activity when it used a name that it had not paid for. Whether this is the way RUPCO always does business or not, it is, in fact, illegal. Whether there was anything more to it than simple arrogance and sloppiness, it WAS illegal, and I felt it needed to be reported. You think I’m a liar Washington style because I reported a crime? OK then. Wow, how awful of me. RUPCO did something illegal and I reported it. Next issue.

What do we think of a company that can’t even abide by the law in routine matters? If in fact RUPCO is guilty of this ILLEGAL act simply as a result of sloppiness, then they have incompetent legal counsel. In any case, sloppiness and incompetence is not an excuse for breaking the law. I took the LP name so that RUPCO would have to change it, and would not be able to claim that they had it all along. I was highlighting their deficiency of competence, because I thought it was important. When a corporation makes enough mistakes, and they come to light, people recognize the pattern. RUPCO’s incompetence and greed very well might cost lives. I will do whatever I can to highlight RUPCO’s sloppiness. I have highlighted their errors and lies in their application. Why are you not complaining about those lies? Why do you not call those lies Washington-style lies? Because you want the project, that’s why. Because you just don’t want to look.

RUPCO has verifiable lies in its application to build housing in this neighborhood. It’s not ONLY about the name, although the name episode was the most dramatic, so far. Look at my blog. I have detailed the lies. You can check my work. They lied about taxes, and road width, and trip generation, and safety. Some of these lies will affect traffic safety, meaning lives. It is essential that the truth come out. Have you read any of the applications RUPCO submitted? Have you looked at the DEIS? Have you reviewed the studies? I have. And I understand what they did, because aside from being a children’s book author, I have a Ph.D. in a policy field and I do not throw false facts around to mislead people the way you did in your letter. You should be ashamed of yourself, calling me a Washington style liar.

Did you know that RUPCO’s project is going to be built for profit? Did you know that housing “our brothers” is going to put money in the pockets of bankers? Didn’t you know that, Judy? Don’t you know that the way RUPCO is putting this project together, the rich will get richer, and only 10-11 of 52 units will have to be affordable to bring the profits in to the owners? Yes, it’s true. When incomes go up, you do not have to leave this housing, even if you get really rich. RUPCO didn’t yell that part from the rooftops, Judy. They did the bleeding heart number for people like you. They told you that you would go to heaven if you supported this project.

Did you know that the reason I bought this house a stone’s throw from the project site is because my broker failed to disclose the existence of RUPCO’s planned project, thereby violating her responsibility to disclose this material fact? Did you know that several people have told me to sue her? Did you know that I find it easier to try to block the project than to sue an individual with whom I have a friendly relationship? Did you even check to find out why I bought this house before criticizing me for doing it? Did you find out anything else about my background before calling me a children’s book author? No, of course not. You simply shot your stupid mouth off with misinformation. That’s what you accused me of doing.

RUPCO is the only choice? You really have been drinking the cool-aid, Judy. There is a whole big world out there, a world of solutions, of people clearly smarter than you, of people who DO the research, and who do solve problems with solutions, not excuses, and not lies.

Well, Judy, unlike you, I have done mountains of research before shooting my mouth off. I may have made a mistake here and there, but all in all, my research is sound. Unlike you, I do not call people who know more than I know liars just because I do not like their conclusions. Unlike you, I do not define people by the one thing about them that I happen to know. Judy, I do not care what your profession is. I do not care where you live. What I care about are the facts of Woodstock Commons. Then there is you. YOU care more about one of the things that I have done for a living, and where my house is, than what is legal and what is not, and what facts define this housing project, and YOU do not understand the FACT that no solution is EVER the only solution, except to the dumb and the desperate.

No comments:

Post a Comment