Sunday, August 15, 2010

100- The Trouble with RUPCO in... Rosendale.

For my one hundredth blog post, I decided to branch out of Woodstock.  Last Wednesday morning, while looking over RUPCO's website filled with false research, I got a call from a resident from Rosendale, which is about half an hour south of Woodstock, and in the same county (Ulster).  This guy wanted a legal referral since he was planning to challenge his town, which is supposedly planning affordable housing down there, also built by RUPCO.  Since I sued without an attorney, I was unable to oblige him, but I asked him what was up and he told me that that night, there would be a public hearing on the proposed project.  I told him I'd be there to lend support.  I called the Rosendale town clerk to confirm the time and so forth, and was told that it was not really an official public hearing, but rather a regular town board meeting with this housing project on the agenda.

It was only after I arrived at the meeting that night that I found out that there are two housing builders applying to build the affordable housing, RUPCO and and another developer. And, I learned that this was the evening during which the public could ask questions or, it's true, make comments about either of these two companies.

Sometimes timing is too perfect.

I raised my hand and told this town, which is five years behind Woodstock in the RUPCO affordable housing nightmare, what RUPCO has done in Woodstock, and directed the town board to this blog.  I went into just a couple of details, including the geothermal well drilling noise omission and the drilling duration omission from the construction schedule.  Stuff like that.  I also spoke about the false information on the RUPCO website, since I had been writing about that just that morning.

I hope I did a service to the town of Rosendale.  I hope they do their homework and avoid working with RUPCO at all.

The man who phoned me that morning was concerned that there is dioxin contaminating the site on which the town wishes to place affordable housing.  This, of course, is the number one concern, and unfortunately one in which I have no expertise to lend.  I hope Rosendale does the right thing and throws out the EPA tests and conducts their own.

Good luck, Rosendale.

No comments:

Post a Comment